Internships at Little Keswick School
Opportunity at LKS
Each year we have the opportunity to welcome new interns, we scout out talented and energetic university students who seek to make a real difference in the lives of LKS students. We provide comprehensive training/orientation alongside new staff and whole-staff professional development throughout the year. Internship experiences are meaningful, broad, and based upon individualized interests of the interns as well as needs of the program. Paid employment outside the ten internship hours/week may be offered to qualifying individuals.
Responsibilities and experiences included but are not limited to the following:
- 1:1 student behavioral support in classrooms
- Opportunities for direct, whole class instruction
- Starting and leading a x2/week Math Lab to provide 1:1 math tutoring for all levels
- Leading a journalism elective and publishing a student newspaper
- Participation in the multi-disciplinary Advisory Team Meetings and Quarterly Review Meetings w/ teachers, therapists (clinical psychologists, art, occupational, and speech), residential counselors, and program administrators
- On-going professional development training opportunities
- Supervising field trips
- Classroom support staff duties
- Supporting relaxation and stress management classes with an occupational therapist
- Supporting students in afternoon activities including the horseback riding, wood shop, art, and athletics
- Woodcock Johnson-IV administration, scoring, and report preparation
Essentially all of my internship has been spent interacting directly with the students. Because of these interactions with staff and students, I am confident that I have gained many therapeutic skills including strong problem-solving, perspective-taking, and communication. – UVA/UIP Class of ‘16
LKS staff encouraged and fostered my skill acquisition through sharing advice through direct teaching and identified opportunities for me to gain insight through working with the students. – UVA/UIP Class of ‘16
Being an intern at Little Keswick was easily the most rewarding and most meaningful experience of my fourth year at UVA. – UVA/UIP Class of ‘16
Information and Q & A Session
In the Spring we will host an information and Q & A session where Marc Columbus, Headmaster, and Jody Berkey, Academic Coordinator, will be available to speak to interested students. Education, psychology, or related-field students seeking a meaningful internship experience working with students with learning, social, and/or emotional challenges in a therapeutic boarding school setting are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Jody Berkey, Academic Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-295-0457 ext. 37.